Nutrition Case Study
Directions: Following is data obtained about a client in an extended care facility. Using this data, formulate:
· One nursing diagnosis in the Need for Nutrition.
· Write this diagnosis in the PES format
· provide one short term and one long time expected outcome,
· Provide 5 to 7 nursing interventions with rationales and citations
· Provide one evaluation statement for each expected outcome.
ML is a 76-year-old male living in an extended care facility for the past 2 months. He was admitted to the facility following the death of his wife who had cared for him in their home. ML has a recorded weight loss of 8lbs. over the past 2 months since admission. He states he is very sad about the loss of his wife and misses her every day. ML has two daughters. One daughter lives nearby and visits him weekly. He states that he really looks forward to his daughter’s visits as they talk about his wife and share “the good times.” ML eats his meals alone in his room and returns many food items untouched. He states, “I don’t know where my appetite has gone, I miss my wife’s cooking. There is so much food on the tray when it comes, and I am just not hungry.”
Assessment data reveals the following:
BP 135/76 P 72, regular strong R 24 regular normal depth
Ht: 5’ 9” Wt: 122 lbs Albumin: 2.9
What is this client’s BMI? ____