As part of your understanding of patient safety I would like you to be aware of 3 websites:
1. Triple Aim in HealthCare from the Institute of HealthCare Improvement.
2. The American Board of Internal Medicines (ABIM) most widely known initiative called Choosing Wisely .
The mission of Choosing Wisely is to promote conversations between clinicians and patients by helping patients choose care that is:
- Supported by evidence
- Not duplicative of other tests or procedures already received
- Free from harm
- Truly necessary
On the Choosing Wisely website, I entered the word transfusion in the search box and received the following link for your awareness:
There is wide variation among medical practitioners regarding their knowledge about risks of transfusions, alternatives to transfusion and subsequently delivering this information to their patients. The Choosing Wisely website allows transfusion medicine experts, the opportunity to provide to ordering physicians, evidence and education and then subsequently better patient outcomes. Thus we should be moving towards informed choice vs informed consent.
- The Patient Safety Network website discusses High Reliability in healthcare.
There are wide range of PBM programs and transfusion committees, however, The Blood Bank Guy website has a podcast entitled, Building the Perfect Transfusion Committee with Carolyn Burns which provides the latest information regarding a patient centered PBM to ensure patient safety.
On the discussion board please post your answer to question 1:
- With 100 – 150 words do you feel, if a facility provides transfusions and does not have a patient safety centered PBM program, are they subsequently providing substandard care? 15 points
2. After posting your opinion to question 1, please review your classmates opinions, and comment with 25 50 words on one classmates posting from the previous statement 5 points